View Single Post
Old 02-28-2021, 08:01 PM   #8

Taking and passing the parking lot based "skills" (snerk) test on any of the Chinese dual sports should be easy. They're low powered and quite lightweight, so should be easy enough and confidence inspiring to sling around at low speed. Mine certainly is. I would ensure that all of your controls are in proper operating condition first, i.e. clutch cable is adjusted, not a bunch of slack in the throttle, etc. so you're not fighting with the machine the whole way.

Re: the scooter idea. I'm not a huge fan of the idea of taking the easy way out and using a little scooter, or even a markedly smaller bike than your daily ride, just for the test. If you don't have the skills to get an already small actual motorcycle through what passes for the exam, I would argue that you probably should have some more seat time anyway before being handed your full license. (FWIW, my state actually does not allow you to "cheat" by showing up with a twist-and-go scooter for the test. No word on what happens if you turn up with a Honda DCT, or something.) If you run into a situation out in the real world where you have to dodge an obstacle in the road or stop in a hurry it's no sense having your only experience being on a 50cc scoot and not the bike you'll actually be riding. You can't pause the world, go switch bikes, and then resume handling your emergency stop or whatever it is.

Anyway, my Bashan Enforcer is so light that I can basically treat it like a trials bike. Your mileage may vary based on how big and tall you are... Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I can ride it around feet on the pegs at idle, and stand up on the pegs balancing it at a complete stop indefinitely. Or at least until I got bored.

Some perspective: I took my parking lot exam on a KLR650 and passed with no trouble. If I even owned my Bashan at that point in time, I probably could have passed with my eyes closed.