View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 04:19 PM   #32

This thread got my curiosity going, since I also wouldn't mind a quieter exhaust. I bought one of these baffles off of Amazon for 10 bucks - worth a shot, eh? The baffle has an adjustable plug that changes the number of holes used in the baffle, which is held in place by the allen screw seen in the picture. I set up an unscientific volume test using a sound app on my phone. I have no idea how accurate the app is, so that means all of the results I got are relative to each other. I set up my phone about 18" behind the exhaust outlet, about at the same level of the outlet. All numbers were taken at 5000 rpm. I tested 4 different conditions: Stock baffle and cap, open muffler, the Amazon baffle with all of the holes exposed, the Amazon baffle with half the holes exposed. Here are the results:

- Stock baffle and cap: 90.3 db
- Open muffler: 90.4 db
- Amazon baffle, all holes exposed: 90.3 db
- Amazon baffle, half holes exposed: 90.4 db

Hmmm. So, it looks like I'm sticking with the stock system. Each test did have a distinctly different sound. The open muffler sounded best to me, but I won't run it that way.

If anyone around the Bloomington area wants the Amazon baffle they can have it. Otherwise it's off to the recycle pile.
Attached Images