View Single Post
Old 03-17-2021, 08:08 PM   #9

Problem is the valves. First adjustment was at 500 miles as per the previous owner.

Bike didn't make it to the second adjustment. It was stalling and unbeknownst to me the exhaust valves were tight. Manual said to check every 2500 miles, so the next one should have been at 3000 miles.

At 2300 miles my fuel filter disintegrated and partially clogged the injector, resulting in a lean condition. My exhaust catalyst ignited from the high temperatures. I replaced the filter and cleaned the injector, then adjusted the valves.

At 3349 miles the bike started stalling again, power was down, and gas mileage was abysmal. I did a compression check and there's my problem. Terrible compression. So I pulled everything off again and yup, both exhaust valves were extremely tight.

Now it's been about 500 miles and I'm feeling like power is down again, and it has stalled once. So I think I'll be needing a new head.

Initially I thought this was my fault, for the lean condition overheating the valves and damaging the hardening of the valves... but now I'm not so sure. I think it may just be poor metallurgy of the valves or seats. The exhaust valves going to shit at 2300 miles, long before an adjustment was warranted, seems to indicate something else has been going on.

In any case I at the very least need two new valves. If I need new valve seats, then it's cheaper to just buy a new head than to have a machine shop install and cut new seats. AliExpress has all new heads, with valves and springs and everything, for a really good price. Debating whether I should take the bike apart and inspect the head first, or just order all new parts and have it all ready and waiting to go when I pull the engine apart.

Also concerned whether aliexpress heads valves and the like are going to be quality, or if I should just order from CSC.

Charles.