View Single Post
Old 07-06-2021, 09:44 PM   #8

Thought I would be slick and get some “heavy duty” clutch plates. When I got them last week one look told me they were wrong, a three disc set, with friction material on one side of the disc instead of both sides. The picture shows two discs of the right size (I measured) but it doesn’t show the back side which is smooth metal. I ordered two friction discs off ebay for $9 and when I realized I could get the whole clutch off Amazon 3 days earlier I ordered that too.

The complete clutch came last night and fits in every way I can tell with all the right parts and one piece extra. It is a 17-tooth outer and 18 tooth inner. I took it apart to soak the friction discs in oil overnight and went after it today. Straight forward job nothing to difficult EXCEPT the four small clutch springs that go in the outside of the clutch cage. You know how springs are, TINK, gone, so I lost one. Took one outa the old clutch. Took awhile to figure out a technique that would work with those springs. I pass it on to save somebody time and frustration. The clutch has to be together, meaning the plates are locked in place. Put one end of the spring on the tit that protrudes on one side. Take a screw driver and push in the center of the spring toward the tit allowing it to arch some up in the middle like a caterpillar inching until you can catch the edge and then push it down until it slides into the indention cut for it the whole will use your thumb to keep it from flying out. It has to be worked into position as it is tight.

There are three adjustment points for this clutch. The clutch lever, in the middle of the clutch cable, and within the box on the side of the case covered with chrome that has two screws. I think the old clutch was not correctly adjusted at the box which basically relieved some of the spring pressure making it weak and contributed to its failure. Not being familiar with this clutch I had no idea. First place to look if you are having any funky clutch issues going on.

I bypassed my oil cooler and ran some new oil through it while testing it and then changed the oil and reconnected my oil cooler. Up and running, good and strong.

Amazon Link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

nerd foto

Last edited by China Rider 27; 07-07-2021 at 09:31 AM.