View Single Post
Old 07-23-2021, 06:16 PM   #8

I mean, I guess I just don’t understand the type of riding you are looking to do. The terrain matters a little bit, but punishing a bike is your choice or not. I don’t punish anything I own. I take it easy so I don’t beat the crap out of it. I kind of want it to last. You are planning to literally beat the crap out of the bike? I don’t think anything will handle that.

I took some damage on the bike in my avatar. I had a problem with a carrier rack on an RV. The bike fell over and its wheels are the only thing that kept it from hitting the ground. They wedged into the carrier rack. Bent the carrier rack and bent the front wheel a little bit. I had to get the wheel tuned. But I ride that thing on single track with rocks everywhere through places you can barely walk through. However, I don’t go really fast and beat the crap out of it when I’m doing that. So in all likelihood, it’s never going to fail me. There is an aspect to that when you are riding major off-road stuff. Especially when you’re in the middle of nowhere.

I spend a lot of time very far away from civilization. Look at my screen name. I sail across oceans. We are very careful not to destroy the boat no matter how rough it gets out there. You don’t want to do something that stresses the sailing rig out and breaks it. Because you’re going to get stranded. It’s the same with a motorcycle. Take it easy. Baby the thing. Look ahead at the train and slow down when it looks like it’s going to bend your rim or something. This is not just street riding. You are talking about far removed survival type riding. Take it seriously as to how much trouble you can get in if you cause your bike to break by beating the crap out of it. Ensure your own safety by babying the bike.

A lot of durability is right in the users hands. It’s not even so much about the bike at all.