Thread: Da Bronda
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2021, 06:04 AM   #13

That drive train appears to be well thought out, if poorly executed. The clutch lever moves the driven wheel away from the the driver wheel by pulling the transmission back. Because a lot of springs are used, there is a heck of a pull on the clutch lever. I did it five times in a row yesterday and that was enough. From what I can see, there are no bushings or bearings on the pivot shafts. I am giving serious thought to replacing the cable set up with hydraulic.

Other things I've found, the engine is of 422 cc displacement and is not stuck. So yay! I've downloaded the manual for it and it's has 172 pages! And nowhere does it say "Contact Your Nearest B&S Dealer".

The tires hold air but replacing them is a given. Front and rear brakes work but will get overhauled. It has air forks that, if the mounted gauge is to be believed, are still holding 10psi. The guy that built the rig was an IBEW electrician and did a marvelous job of wiring it but, as it was done something like 30 years ago, most of the splices are done with wire nuts. Those will be soldered and heat shrunk.

The gas tank. Eww! It has almost 20 year old fuel in it. I THINK I can save it. It took a hammer, punch, and wd40 to get the cap off. I don't know if what's in there will even burn. I can get a replacement petcock for $12, so I won't even bother messing with that.

And the above was done with it STILL sitting in back of the truck. I figure there's a 50% chance of dropping it and have it land on me if I unload it by myself. There's a 100% chance of that happening if Mrs. C helps. Jake, who could probably lift it by himself, is coming by this evening to give me a hand.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts