View Single Post
Old 09-03-2021, 06:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
Dan, I'm sure you know, but S&S is making parts for the 650, so the HP advantage can be easily increased. For my money, I'd go with the 650, even with the increased cost, because unless the SG400 is a bit hit, since the motor isn't otherwise being imported (to the best of my knowledge), I could easily see it becoming an orphaned model in not too many years, because as you stated earlier, it is comfortably in the same price range as many Japanese models.

The market is especially weird now, but I highly doubt the SG400 will be a rousing success; they're no longer competing with used bikes, price wise, and they're in a very competitive market where most people aren't looking at a potential DIY project.

I could be wrong, but I think the 650 will be around much longer.
I think that you're underestimating demand for the SG400 a bit. The primary reason that it's being brought in is to satisfy the unmet demand from potential SG250 purchasers who are looking for that style of bike, but want something with more power and bigger ergonomics - which the SG400 does in spades, while keeping the weight down. The tubeless spoke wheels and the fact that the TC380 is liquid cooled, versus air/oil cooled are icing on the cake. The light weight, with good power thing is really important in a lot of peoples books, mine included. Like the RX3 before it, Zongshen has stepped into a segment that is currently not being served by the mainstream manufacturers - >250cc, sub 650cc cafe retro styled parallel twin bikes.

As far as support goes, CSC has demonstrated repeatedly their ability to support their bikes, which is the primary reason that I continue to buy motorcycles from them. That, and the fact that they ship the thing right to my doorstep; I never have to leave my house except to ride the bike, lol. After six plus years of CSC selling Chinese bikes, I don't see any danger of the bike being orphaned, and if that did come to pass, AliExpress and TaoBao are more than able to fill in the gap. You can damn near build an RX3/RX4 from all the spare parts that they have available on those sites. As far as repairs go, so far I've purchased three Zhongshen motorcycles - this will be the fourth, and the only issues I have had are crap wet cell batteries and a bad oil seal on my RX4's shift shaft. That's it. For reference, the wet cell batteries in my 2015 Versys and 1990 Gold Wing also went to crap, so I can't lay all the blame on poorly made Chinese batteries. This is the reason that I am now a Shorai Lithium Iron house, exclusively; I use them in all of my bikes now. I can let them sit forever, and when I do want to ride a bike, they are ready to go.

Don't misunderstand me, I like the RE 650's, as well as the Himalayan, but for the type of riding that I do (almost all street), I don't really need a low RPM tractor, and I'm very interested in seeing what Zongshen hath wrought in their new small parallel twin engine. Probably more so than I am in the SG400 itself. It's the main reason that I was disappointed when CSC opted not to bring in the RX3S. It will be even more interesting to see what the RX6 brings to the table, should CSC decide to give it a go - a Norton based parallel twin engine design, coupled with name brand components instead of the usual Chinese in house stuff that they usually put on their bikes.

When it comes to resale, I don't buy a bike for resale value - what's the purpose there? I want to ride the damn thing, not sell it. I'm not aware of anybody who makes money selling a motorcycle, apart from dealers. Having said that, I'm seeing folks selling plenty of RX3's, RX4's, and other CSC bikes that are are not having problems moving the bikes. And they are not losing their shirts either, unless they really need to sell(I'm thinking ChopperCharles' $1200, 600 mile RX3 here). There are still a lot of people out there who are curious about Chinese motorcycles and CSC, who may not be willing to pay MSRP, but will happily fork out twenty to forty percent less on a used one. Here again, my Japanese bikes offer a similar tale - in 2018 I picked up my Versys, with 4000 miles and about $1000 of GIVI addons, for $6100. Basically a forty percent hit to the previous owner's investment. How is that any different to someone selling a $4000 RX3 for $2500?

I could go on, but I think I've made my point. If you are afraid to buy a Chinese bike in 2021, especially one from CSC, you shouldn't be. Unless you are the type who absolutely, positively, must have a dealer to take it to, then yep, you should look elsewhere. Just be prepared to pay more for the privilege.