View Single Post
Old 09-04-2021, 10:30 AM   #31

Your 650 Is Getting Expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
One thing about the 650 is there are crazy aftermarket for it.. fairing kits, ecu tunes, big bore kit (750/850cc).. rear set controls and clip on options on the (continental).. a 650 has way more potential right now tha the re3 likely ever would.. also, the re3 from csc has an engine thats already been replaced in China/Europe by a 401 cc version. Really, the sg400 could be considered the "old" re3
And just exactly how much are you willing to spend for an air/oil cooled 650cc motorcycle? After you go and tear apart your new bike, add a S&S big bore kit, swap the cam, install new connecting rods, flash a new ECU tune, put on a new exhaust to take advantage of the engine mods, change out the clip ons and rear sets, and swap the fairings, I'm pretty sure you're going to end up with a $9000 - $10,000 70 HP bike, at best. At this point, Yamaha will be happy to sell you an XSR 700 (way better engine) or XSR900 (super way better engine) that will blow it out of the water from a cost and performance standpoint, and still leave a good chunk of change in your pocket. Honda will gladly set you up with a CB650R with a sweet inline four for the same amount, too.

For myself, I am not looking to buy a brand new bike, then turn around, tear it apart, and attempt to rebuild it into something that already exists, and in a much better guise. I want a low cost, sub 650cc parallel twin bike, with moderate power, more style than me (a low bar, I'll admit), low weight, low to no electronics, $200 a year full coverage insurance (that includes break down and towing coverage), and built by a company with a reputation for putting out quality product. Hello Zongshen RE3/CSC SG400. It ticks all the boxes for $5500.00, delivered to my doorstep. What more can you ask for than that?

If I need more than the SG400's 40 HP, I'll hop on my Versys 650 or Gold Wing GL1500 to scratch that itch, not blow a ton of money trying to make it or a RE 650 into something that they're not.