View Single Post
Old 10-19-2021, 11:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperCharles View Post
You don't understand. I have the SG400 as well. The rear suspension is SO bad the bike is unrideable at anything even approaching a spirited pace -- especially if the road is not perfectly smooth.

I'm looking into 15.5" Progressive shocks. They don't have rebound damping, but I've had Progressives on other bikes and they've worked wonderful. About $400. Raise the rear an inch, and get myself 2.5" of travel instead of 1.5".

Charles.
Having taken the SG400 out a few times - finally, I definitely want rebound damping. I'm 200 lbs with gear and I can get a soft ride if I turn down the spring preload, but its uncontrolled, as you know. Undulating pavement in particular really upsets the rear, since it just won't settle due to the lack of rebound damping. If I crank up the preload, it's slightly better, but it still wants to squat under acceleration, which is why I'm leaning towards the $1100 Ohlins with compression and rebound damping. I'd love not to have to spend the money, but no matter who makes it, be it Ohlins, Progressive, or K-Tech, they all want around $800 for shocks with rebound damping; at which point I might as well spend the extra $300 and get the compression damping too. Now I just need to find someone who has them in stock. I see some on eBay, but they're actually in Italy. I've ordered from Europe before, so it's not that big of a deal, but it would be nice to find someone here in the states, just in case there is a warranty issue. I don't think that the cost is out of line for a top flight suspension; as you noted over on ADVRider your Leoncino has a much better suspension than the SG400, but it's also $2300 more expensive. Basically, good suspension costs money, even on a China bike.

On a slightly related note - I noticed that Zongshen's forthcoming 550cc RE5 has ditched the rear twin shock set up for a monoshock - now we know why, lol. I have no doubt that it has a much better, and much more accommodating, ride quality than what the SG400 has. Hopefully CSC sees fit to bring it in - fingers crossed.