View Single Post
Old 11-10-2021, 02:47 PM   #1

Heat wrapping the exhaust system???

Hi Everyone,

As you've probably surmised, I FINALLY got my X22R delivered to my house. The bike got here with some damage though. The right side (as you sit on the bike) fairing was melted near where the exhaust pipe makes the bend at the bottom of the engine. What I figure happened is that either in China or here in California, whomever did an engine test let the engine run too long and let it set (where it over heated the exhaust pipe) and melted the fairing.

Now Venom MotorSports has already sent me a new fairing to replace the damaged one, thanks Venom MotorSports, by the way... Way to go...

Now here is my question...

I have been thinking of wrapping the exhaust pipe in Exhaust Heat Wrap Tape but I am concerned that this will just trap the heat in (and near the fairing) and just remelt the NEW fairing all over again. This is why I am also considering just using the OLD fairing until it falls apart (or just melts away).

Should I even use either one of these 2 exhaust wraps or can someone suggest another method or product that would work better than what I am suggesting. Another thing is, why should I wrap the exhaust pipe in the first place, or is this even needed? Does it offer any advantages/disadvantages to do this or not? Also is there another method of wrapping the exhaust system so that it will not effect the fairings or should I even bother doing this.

By the way, here are the two exhaust wraps I am considering using:

And here is the second one:

I kind of like the one with the gold foil on the outside as I think (but I'm not sure) that it would reflect the heat back into (or onto) the exhaust pipe and hopefully help save the NEW fairing from any heat damage, but I could be wrong about this.

Anyway, Thanks in advance for any help (and or tips) about this question...

Take care and ride safe...

Joe...