View Single Post
Old 01-12-2022, 11:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
This all day long... i am going to be installing a class III hitch on my new forester in the near future( already have it, just waiting for the NY weather to not be so assinine) class III hitch will be rated for 5-8,000#.... my forester is rated for 2,800#
Tow rating is mostly marketing BS, available payload will typically run out before you exceed towing capacity. A properly loaded 2800# trailer will put somewhere between 300-560# on the hitch, that's a lot of load for a small SUV. If you don't exceed available payload, you'd at least need a good WD hitch to shift weight to the front so you can steer (and that adds another 80-130# or so ;-).

Physics are a bizatch ;-)

Just noticed you said new, look for a yellow sticker on the drivers door jam... that should clearly list available payload as delivered from the factory... dealer add-ons would subtract from that though..

back to OP's question.

Step one, find the GVWR of your vehicle
Step two: get it weighed ready to travel, loaded with food/lpg/water as you would going on a trip and all passengers/pets/etc.

Subtract actual weight from GVWR and you'll have a good idea how much payload you have available.

I would go one step further and get axle weights, then find out how you're doing as far as axle rating (should be listed on tag with GVWR). That'll help you decide where it's best to put a 300# bike (and possibly 100# for a new hitch on the front if going that route).

In the end it's your responsibility to make sure your vehicle is safe.

Last edited by braindead0; 01-12-2022 at 01:16 PM.