View Single Post
Old 01-15-2022, 07:20 PM   #30

I’m glad you’re back here! You were very helpful with all my n00b questions getting this bike.

But yes, this is exactly it.

I just want to get off redline near top speed.

But also, I weigh nothing so my little Xpect could easily do 65 with me on it. That’s all I ask. Just 10mpg more so people don’t get too upset with me. I think another gear would help a lot with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
^^^^^^ This.

It is possible to run the Hawks on highways. Living where I do, it's not much of a choice if I want to get anywhere outside of town. You either just accept it, stay as far right as possible and let cars by, or ride something more capable.

The 6th gear desire for most of us isn't about extra speed either. It's so we can have a bigger rear sprocket for better torque off road and also still be able to go on said highways without having the engine bouncing the redline at 55mph.

Even the higher end Japanese 250's and 300cc enduro bikes aren't as fast as you might think. Yes, they can achieve higher top speeds thanks to their extra 10hp, but they still aren't going to blow your mind with their speed or top end acceleration. If you really want a truly highway capable bike, you need at least a 400cc engine (in my opinion) to have any real highway capability.