Thread: Too rich?
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2022, 10:46 AM   #9

The PZ30 should have a traditional choke, yes. You can tell if you pop it off and look at it. The choke plate is easily visible in the inlet throat and is operated via the lever on the side. Enricher carbs typically have a plunger you pull instead.

I would ensure that your valves are in spec as Bruces has suggested before chasing your tail on other potential causes. These bikes typically leave the factory with the valve clearances way too tight (i.e. with none) which will cause your engine to run lousy and be hard to start. You can pick up a suitable feeler gauge set at Harbor Freight if you don't feel like waiting for one to show up in the mail.

Make sure your engine is 100% cold before checking and adjusting the valve clearances. Let it sit overnight, for instance.

FWIW, the traditional butterfly plate choke on my Bashan Enforcer does not change the bike's idle, either. That is usually an effect of enricher type carbs. What it does do, however, is make the engine misfire and stumble if the choke is closed and the engine is already hot.

If you want to post a picture on here that's bigger than a postage stamp I recommend uploading it to imgur or similar and just copy-pasting a link to it. That's what I do.