Thread: Too rich?
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2022, 04:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post

When should you adjust it? When you encounter idle issue or hard start issues in certain scenarios. Hard starts while hot due to being too rich, or hard starts when cold from being too lean. Needing the choke to start during warm weather, or not needing the choke at all in cold weather. A hanging high idle after letting off the throttle, or a boggy unsteady low idle. etc. etc.

Again, there is plenty of information out there on the internet that you can read.
JerryHawk set me straight on the fact that it is a fuel screw. Knowing that makes a huge difference for tuning

Mega, your comments on the consequences of too lean, or too rich on the pilot circuit are very useful, and make sense. I changed from a 34 to a 38, and was able to close the pilot screw to ~2.5 turns (it was out at 4+ turns). It has a nice stable idle, but I will pay more attention to cold start and hot start now.

It does drop to a nice idle throttle off, and never needs choke when warm. Those bracket the too lean, too rich conditions. But it never starts for me with the kick start. Fortunately, it pops to life quick with the starter every time. I will try half choke (mine is manual, two position choke) when hot and kick start it. If it is easier to start on half choke by kick starter when hot, I will move to a bigger jet. But it starts easily when cold if I have if fully choked, and seems to get better at half choke or even no choke quickly (but with low idle initially-sometimes I lift the slide with the idle adjust until warm). It seems pretty close at least.

It is opened up on the exhaust side only, so the carb is experiencing lots of vacuum. I was wondering if that may be an issue? I do not know if there is an optimal vacuum range for the PZ