View Single Post
Old 02-27-2022, 11:35 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Keep in mind that although this is technically not an EFI failure (the EFI controller), the temperature sensor is a peripheral input that EFI needs to operate. So if it fails, particularly if it is a transient/periodic failure, it is a diagnostic problem. There are more than one check engine light or transient EFI failure on this site! They are electronic devices, and they do have issues.

Maybe it takes some time to learn how to tune a carburetor, but they typically do not catastrophically fail. You can get home to figure it out.

And the fuel pump is another Achilles heal for an EFI system. A carburetor works on vacuum and gravity (fuel feed), neither of with can fail.

Also, Once you become familiar with your carb settings (which jets, needle height, etc), diagnostics become routine (float bowl fill circuit, general cleaning, rejet for modification).

So EFI may be convenient when it works, but I don't think it is easier to diagnose when it fails, and it does.

You should read the first post of the thread. The original poster made it home. It just was running rough. Same as a carburetor. As a matter fact, my entire bikes electrical system was grounding out and I still made it home. You’re just wrong. Nobody’s been left on the side of the road by a fuel injection failure here. Many, many people have been left on the side of the road by carburetor failures.. And this wasn’t the thread that we were talking about this stuff in. In this thread, we were trying to help the OP get to the bottom of what was wrong. And he did. Very quickly. Solved in just a few posts.