View Single Post
Old 04-12-2022, 04:07 PM   #1

New rider from Louisville, KY

I've been reading this board for a couple of weeks. I just took the MSF Basic Rider's Course last weekend, before that, the only other time I've ever been on a bike was when I had to ride on the back of one at night, down twisty roads, in India, which was pretty much as terrifying as you probably think it was. I have an appointment to get my permit next week, license 30 days later (already passed the riding test), and am looking to get my first motorcycle. I've got it narrowed down to a few.

A bit of background - physically I'm 5'10", 175lbs, with a 30" inseam.
Mechanically I'm a design engineer, currently building a single seat airplane from scratch in the garage, was a welder for 5 years, have worked on my own cars for 25 years, and have designed circuit boards. I'm definitely not afraid of maintenance, electronics, or modifications.

I have a few requirements for a motorcycle. I have raced cars, I like to go fast, but I made a deal with myself when I chose to start riding to never even sit on a sport bike, for the exact same reason I will not try heroin - I'm sure I would like it, but it will kill me fairly quickly. I know my limits, it would be like playing Russian roulette with 5 bullets. I'm not interested in Harley type cruisers, and the bike I learned on, a Honda Rebel 300, had a really uncomfortable seating position for me. I'd like to be upright and not have to splay my hips.

The main reason I want to ride is for when I visit Costa Rica (I may be moving there in a few years) or similar countries, it's just a better way to get around than the bus or in a car. The roads are mostly paved, with potholes and some sections where the road has washed away or never was paved. No point in spending double the money renting a KTM over a Hawk 250 (yes, they rent them) when you can't really go much above 50mph anyway.

I'm looking to purchase a bike towards the end of May, mainly to practice on side streets and parking lots. Originally I thought I wanted a Hawk 250 DLX, but there are no trails to ride anywhere around me and it might be a little tall. I will not be going on any main roads even for a long time, let alone a highway, so I can't really get to a trail. I think the Lifan X-pect 200 would be good match for my needs, but I really like the styling of the Lifan KPM200. I'm not sure of the seating position of the KPM200, I know it is "Cafe bike styled", but the pictures I've seen show a fairly upright rider rather than a laid down racer. If anyone has any insight on the riding position, or better yet has one near me I could sit on, I'd appreciate it.

I've had a carburetor on a truck, and the flying club I'm in has them on their planes. I am familiar with them, I trust them, but I have zero desire to deal with another one. EFI only for me. Maybe there's another upright EFI bike around $2K I'm missing, please recommend if you do know, but please don't recommend a carb bike and start argument #50,001 on carb vs. EFI, you won't change my mind on this.

There's also the fact that it would take me longer to put together the money for the KPM200. I might be able to order a X-pect in late May, KPM would be mid June at the earliest.