View Single Post
Old 04-17-2022, 01:37 PM   #54

Sprocket cushion bushing removal!

I used a similar method (megadan's grease hydraulic method) to remove the pilot bearing in my 1st Gen Toyota years ago. I used a 19mm bolt in this case...

Get a newspaper and shred it into 2 inch wide strips. Get a bowl of water. Wet the strips and stuff them into the recess through the center hole of the bushing. Keep doing it until it is full, and then use a snug fitting bolt, and hammer, to compress the wet newspaper. Add more wet newspaper as it comes out. Just like the grease, it pushes the thing out from the inside in a snap. Amazingly simple.

The newspaper is what makes this work. Yes, it is a hydraulic "press" that you are building, but the newspaper holds the water nicely. Thick cooked oatmeal may also work. In fact, if the recess behind the bushing is small, it may still work if the newspaper can get pushed into the recess, however small.

Oh... photobucket is ransoming my images, and I haven't subscribe yet to recover them. But the picture still shows up at Yotatech forums for some reason with the photobucket watermark since I haven't subscribed!

Name:  PilotBearingRemoval.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  68.8 KB