View Single Post
Old 04-30-2022, 08:00 PM   #72

To clarify some, again the team are no trained motorcycle mechanics, the oiling system has two parts a "splash" system and the pressurized by an oil pump system. The rotating mechanisms pick up oil from the sump and splash it in the case and the oil pump pressurizes oil to the crank and such and it is pumped up to the top of the head. So some of the debris in this oil may never make it to the oil pump inlet and just keeps getting tossed around.

This is a new engine being broken in so we expect there to be some metal and debris. Like you, I have not noticed much metal in the oil changes on my CG motors but maybe I just never looked hard enough for it. We also expect over time for the metal to decrease. The one test on the residue showed that the magnetic drain plug may not be perfect at catching metal but it is pretty good! One test does not prove it is always that good.

WARNING: Beware, the team highly recommends if you use a magnetic drain plug get one made of steel not aluminum. That yellow plug magnet you see in the above posts is a cheap aluminum drain plug that snapped off inside the case!