View Single Post
Old 07-02-2022, 09:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
I’m sure my bike is different than yours, but if I were in your shoes, I would just account for this situation with the initial chain adjustment.

If every time you tighten those axle bolts, the chain tightens, I would start with a more loose chain setting to account for that. That way when you tighten them up, it will be correct.

Thanks, I guess this will be my last resort if I cant figure what else is wrong. If I go this route, is it ok to run two master links in a chain, or perhaps one master link and a half link when adding additional links back to the chain?

Also, I did some reading elsewhere online since posting this, and found two interesting things regarding this issue. I read discussions of other dirt bikes (non-Hawk 250 bikes) where people experienced this same issue where chain slack was removed from the chain once tightening the axle bolt. A saw posts mentioning that the location of the axle nut could cause this. After watching videos online of Hawk users working on their bikes, I see that their axle nut is installed from the left side of the bike, with the nut being on the right side. I was installing my axle nut from the right side, and having the nut on the left side. I never thought this would make any difference, but maybe the tightening forces of the nut being on the opposite side is causing this. I will give it a try, but am not very confident this will make any difference.

Another interesting thing I read was where people were placing a shop rag between the sprocket and chain and then spinning the wheel until the rag is fed (wedged) tightly into the sprocket which provides enough tension to reduce slack from happening while tightening the axle bolt.

I really hope this solves the issue...