View Single Post
Old 11-20-2022, 10:36 AM   #4

The excess just points down, not even beyond the rest of the linkage. I would leave the original in place (just like that KTM has both positions) in case you ever need to raise the bike again.

And, make sure that you drill a hole with the exact same size, and that the hole is parallel. When I get around to this, I will set the thing sideways on a block of 2x4 under the bit on my drill press to make sure that the holes are at exactly the same position on each side.

If you drill to oversized hole, a bushing could fix it. The bolt/pin that secures it has a smooth area where it contacts the shock mount, and it is a snug fit (no play). But best to drill the exact diameter hole. Buy a drill bit if you have to.

Oh, and the lower hole has a raised flat end block to hold it in place while you tighten the nut. That is convenient, but as long as you use a good locking thread nut (like the one it comes with-teflon ring, as I recall), it should stay in place. It will just be necessary to get an adjustable wrench on that flat bolt head to get the locking nut tightened on. You can always get a new locking nut if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathn View Post
Does it look like you would have cut the excess off if you drilled new holes? From what I remember the lug on the bottom of the shock mount is just a stop for the head of the mounting bolt. I'm not really worried about the resale value, and lower would be really nice.

Was there room to get the shock out from above?

Mine is 2500 miles away, but that looks like low risk, easy and a good idea.