View Single Post
Old 12-02-2022, 06:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Pete View Post
It is normal for carburetor vehicle engines to need to be choked and/or a little touch of throttle held down for the first few minutes until the motor warms up.

The cold intakes on the motor cool the atomized fuel which sticks to the intakes instead of flowing into the combustion chamber. This means you don't have the correct amount of fuel, the mixture is lean. This is why you have choke to add more fuel into the intakes to account for the cooled atomized droplets that stick and don't make it through.

As the engine warms up it heats up the intake maniforld and eventually anything attached to the engine like the carburetor etc. Then the bike will be running at its normal richer fueling state and you can now set your intiial idle speed screw to the temperature the motor has reached which will be close to running.

You will need to likely have to readjust the idle speed after you get it on the road for the first few rides as it will be at a different temperature to just sitting still in your garage or whever it is stored.
You wouldn't happen to have a video link explaining this handy?

I thought the stock carb was "tamper proof" so I assumed it was not adjustable.

My dumbass doesn't even know where the choke is on this thing? I've only used a choke on my riding mower before.