View Single Post
Old 12-27-2022, 11:59 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPMRider View Post
FIX!!! Operator error!!!

As many of us know it's really frustrating to be running around chasing your own tail on a mechanical or electrical problem. I figured it out!

These KPM 200s are very small bikes, and as many of us know storage is difficult. I had installed a small storage bag on the front forks. As many of us know when you are behind a semi in town you still get wind, but when you are behind a semi on the highway it blocks a considerable amount of wind. I think the same principle applied here, that small storage bag blocked just enough wind to keep air from flowing through my radiator fins. Last night I pulled out all the stops I installed the thermometer gauge and got a no drip radiator funnel to pull 100% of the air out of the system and after all my repairs were done I had my buddy just point out that the bag on the front might be blocking the wind. To be honest I hadn't even considered that, it seems like it should be far enough away that it's not an issue however these bikes are very small and asked to do quite a bit of work, it blocked just enough wind to where it just wouldn't cool off fast enough when I was at high RPMs for a long amount of time. After removing the bag my temperature gauge reads no higher than 80 degrees C if I've been on the highway for a long time, and I stick around 70 to 74 degrees C when I am in the city

Aftermarket accessories on your front forks can cause overheating on the KPM 200, unfortunately I have verified it myself.

Safe riding guys, thanks for all the help!

P.S. sorry for the hate mail Lifan, you do make a quality product.

I had a similar problem with a CX500 with 650 motor I built. I put a high front fender on it, and that blocked air flow to the radiator. I didn't notice it until the radiator fan blew a fuse (my fault, my wire wasn't properly heat-shrinked where I soldered a splice). The fan was on 100% of the time, and when it failed I overheated. I ended up fabbing some wings to draw the air in from the sides.

While you solved the problem, your fan may still be kaput. It'd we wise to check it.

Also, while this was a simple fix, USUALLY rpm-related overheating is due to a bad head gasket. Combustion gasses leak into the water jacket and superheat the coolant.

Charles.