Thread: Templar X 250
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2023, 11:29 PM   #955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Pete View Post
I put 102 miles on the bike so far. About 38 of the miles today alone. It was a balmy 75 degrees here so after the negative 12 degrees I was hot to take the bike for a spin. I took my full gear this time, but sans the wind blocking layer and the thermal layers in both jacket and pants -- they sure feel and look much more baggy without those layers inside.

I also used my new Bluetooth receiver and over the ear looping headsets for the first time on the road. (https://chinariders.net/showpost.php...postcount=3243)

I plugged in a close by park I had never visited and hit the streets. Bike performed flawlessly and I got the chain dirty as I soon hit poorly maintained lumpy tarmac that quickly became poorly maintained tarmac covered with gravel which then became mildly rutted and holed dirt roads with both gravel and decently sized rocks scattered all over.

Perhaps motivated by the fork adjustments I did in the past to increase tendency to turn into turns (some oversteer) before the rubber profile in the lean changed the suspension feel back to more planted and then due to the dirt road and rocks ride today and perhaps inspired by this purchase I decided I wanted to try a fully planted feeling suspension at all points of the turns. (https://chinariders.net/showpost.php...postcount=3298)

So now I am set to about 2 1/2 rings above the triple-tee:
Attachment 28245

And this time I might as well get a measurement for future reference:
Attachment 28246

And the reading I am using for this adjustment:
Attachment 28247

The sun was starting to go down so I took the bike out for a quick sprint around the estate roads and the tendency to want to turn into turns is now removed and its the same planted feeling throughout the entire turn. I am starting to much prefer this setup especially on normal streets but again time will tell the more I ride it with the new setup.

Now I have to wait for another day to go re-test the new settings on the extremely poor country roads with gravel, rocks and holes everywhere.

When I get the time I'll do a proper suspension tuning, I need an assistant to help me get the sag measurements and dial in the sag. This will need to be done first as I'll then have to re-do all my other suspension adjustments around this first initial setting. But for now I'm gaining experience with the out-of-the-crate sag setting to get a feel for the valves impacts on the existing suspension.

EDIT: If anyone is using my torque specifications PDF, I am trying a new fork tube clamp torque setting deviation from the PDF. Lower and Upper on the PDF are set to 15 foot pounds of torque. Due to the aluminimum used in forks and wanting to make sure the internal spring doesn't get bound up I am keeping the upper clamp bolts at 15 foot pounds of torque but I am now using 12 foot pounds of torque on the lower clamp bolts. Post with PDF torque specifications (https://chinariders.net/showpost.php...&postcount=815)
Took mine out for a 18 mile spin. Couldn’t resist the 78 degree day we had. Bike ran great. Glad yours did as well. Really liking this bike more and more.
Pro Taper Grips
125 main 45 pilot jets
42 tooth rear sprocket
2010 Yamaha Vstar 1100 Silver Star