View Single Post
Old 01-05-2023, 03:06 PM   #7

Honda says their CRF300L weighs 306 pounds (wet vs. dry unspecified).
Kawasaki says their KLX300 weighs 302 pounds, wet.

I've read that manufacturers do cartwheels to shave a few pounds off these things; witness the skinny foot-pegs that every Reviewer chastises as "have to be replaced".

If the Japanese bikes (made in Thailand, these days) are using aluminum frames vs. steel frames on the Chinese bikes, that might explain a good deal of the weight differences???

It seems to me that the difference(s) between heavy/mid/light weight Adventure bikes is in the range of 75 pounds between categories. For example, light Adventure bikes seem to be in the 385 - 400 pounds range (e.g. KTM 390 Adventure, Kawasaki KLE300); mid-weight Adventure bikes seem to be about 450 - 475 pounds (e.g. Tenere 700, KLR650); heavy Adventure bikes seem to weigh north of 500 pounds (e.g. BMW's, Africa Twins etc.). People buy ... or don't buy, based upon these category weights ... in many cases. At 29% of the specified Templar X weight, 75 pounds is S I G N I F I C A N T !

Everything I've read says that the good riders learned on lightweight (usually dirt) bikes ... and advise learning on lightweight bikes, especially if one hopes to ride off-road. Everything I've read declares that "weight matters" - REALLY! Reviews dwell on top-heaviness and 'flickability' adnauseum.

Perhaps some kind soul(s) could verify their bikes' real weight, using the bathroom scale under each wheel ... and adding the two numbers - to get ballpark weights? ... noting whether or not the gas tank was full or empty, of course.