View Single Post
Old 01-22-2023, 10:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Hotdogs View Post
Yes, I'm learning slowly how odd 1969 was. The guy I bought it from had replaced the carb but also gave me the original. He mounted the new one by making a little adapter plate. I'll leave it that way unless it gives me trouble. And yeah, the air filter does look damn weird. My bike doesn't have one at all and the cover for it just takes in air straight from the frame under the gas tank. I didn't know they made them without the snorkel up to the cargo rack.

I don't need this thing to be 100% original, I just want it to be 100% functional. I might have preferred a later 70s model or a CT110 but I got this thing for less than a grand, and that's kind of a miracle.
1968 and back had a little box for the air filter on the upper part of the downtube, just under the handlebars. 1969 was the only year with the snorkel-in-frame, then for 1970+ they went to the higher snorkel into the rear rack. So many changes to these bikes. I'm just using a pod air filter. I like the simplicity. The Tomahto will be a street bike mostly, no fording of streams is planned. The Carrot will be offroad only, including knobbies or trials tires probably. Looking to throw an SSR 125 into it.

Under $1K for a running CT90 is a very good value. The CT110 is a better bike overall. More time to evolve. (Slightly) more HP to replace the dual-range transmission with a much simpler and normal design. The bane of the CT90 is the front sprocket. It and one of the dual-range gears are all one part. Rare and expensive. But it is made of very hard steel. Replacing it is a long involved process. It's probably quicker to swap out the whole motor than replace the front sprocket! (OK that might be an exaggeration.)
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself