View Single Post
Old 02-17-2023, 10:06 PM   #375

I had my reasons to attempt a bike restomod.

I was in a pretty downtrodden, broken, crusty state of affairs prior to the start.

So fixing a downtrodden, broken, crusty motorcycle was more of a self help program with the hope of adventure at the end.

I had no plan or desire for any particular make or model other than wanting a dual sport roughly the same age as me.

It just happened to end up with the 92 XL185 S...

The financials were not really a factor other than what I could afford in increments.

Time was plentiful and no deadlines...

I wanted to learn new skills and gain the confidence if anything broke later on I could identify and fix the problem...Which I think I achieved.

the bike is not 'perfect' by any sense of the word, I was not aiming for perfection just dependable imperfection...

Im looking at other XL185s for sale now and other than not being totally original I think my bike still came out on top for the money....

However paying somebody else to restore a bike to the same condition would be 5-10x the cost roughly speaking....and would probably take less than 2 years for most people.

I have a few more things I'd like to get done to the Xl185.

But I am also looking into finding the CT110/postie candidate for a possible ZS190cc swap...

(I took a chance on the $80 ZS167fml 250cc that was in basket. Which thankfully turned out serviceable and funnily enough pointing me towards the china rider forums, which resulted in this thread post.)

But I think I might go a new crate engine next time...

Was it worth it?....For me it definitely was worth having something to apply effort on.
But I think its important to be real an state if its about 'making money' you probably going to come up short every time.