Thread: Templar X 250
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2023, 10:22 AM   #1242

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Rode mine to work this morning. First time REALLY out on the highway. BRRRR knobby tires.
I see what you guys mean about the gearing. Still breaking in so I didn't wind it out but I could use just a tad more gear I think. I'm holding off on that until I get it muddy. I like really low speed tractor power for the piddly bit of off road stuff I do. We'll see. Sprockets can be had cheap enough I might just experiment.

Who was it that found a rear wheel? I kind of like the idea of swapping the knobby for a dual sport wheel already mounted.
And here we come right back to the issue of "dual sport"!!!

On one hand- If you opt for tall gearing then you can get to 70-75mph no problem, but 1st gear isn't low enough and 2nd is almost useless off road!

On the other hand- Stick with the OEM gearing, or even switch to a 50-53T rear sprocket for better off road operation, and you just have to avoid the highway (county roads still "OK").

Swapping out the rear wheel is a viable option, but LOTS of work! Doable if you must go 75mph.

These bikes are so cheap, I have two of them to solve this problem...
The 5 speed has 14T front (up from 13T), 49T rear and I might restore the 13T front sprocket.
The 6 speed has 13T front and a 39T rear.

Personally, I just drive slower. The off road useability is just too important for me. I can still get to Home Depot, grocery store, liquor store without any worry about getting a ticket on the 5 speed coming back from the trails!! I even have a horn