View Single Post
Old 04-17-2023, 03:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
The 17/42 sprockets will quite possibly be too high for you, and your girlfriend. The Hawk has a big enough rear tire that you may be better to run a 46-47, and a 17. The exhaust, and proper jetting of your carb ,along with a better chain, Honda rear sprocket studs, and what ever sprockets you decide on , are probably the only mods that you may want to do to a new bike. If you are determined to go with a big bore, the you should also port the head, and then the PE28 may be a little smaller than desired. I would at least run the bike some with the common simple mods, before going the whole 9 yards with it.
You can get killed on any bike, and a light bike is especially affected by wind, and passing trucks. You stated that you may go with smaller wheels, or eventually buy a TBR7, but like the other guy said, these are not ideal highway bikes. One of the cheapest, and usually low mileage small cruisers is the Suzuki Savage/S40, LS650, and a pretty good one is going to cost you about what a new TBR7 would cost. They are easy for anyone to handle, because they are low, and they have plenty of torque, and a very wide ratio transmission to optimize the torque, There are other options out there as well.
Thank you for the input! We’re definitely staying away from highways I just want to be able to hit highway speeds. What megadan is saying sounds good to me… I’ve thought about the 45 rear so what exactly would be the benefit of a 46-47 over a 45? Sorry I just don’t rly understand gearing yet. And I understand cruisers are perfect for a lot of people, but she seemed to really want a “dirt bike” and a wr250r has been my dream bike since I was probably 7-8