View Single Post
Old 05-06-2023, 06:31 PM   #7

The exhaust is restricted pretty bad at the catalytic converter on the Hawk, so I would recommend either getting rid of the catalytic converter, or installing aftermarket exhaust. It does make a difference. I just have a well tuned VM26 clone and pod filter on my Hawk, and I removed the cat, and muffler baffle, and I have 46/17 sprockets, and I think the bike runs great, and think it's probably making close to what my TBR7 makes. The TBR7 has full aftermarket exhaust, pod filter, and Nibbi PE28FL. It also has 46/17, but smaller, tires, and they are the stock 50/50. The Hawk is on stock Knobby tires. The Hawk feel less powerful due to the bigger tires, and the knobbies probably also eat some power. That's why I think that the Hawk probably makes equal, or close to the same power on the crank. I think if both bikes had the same wheels, and tires they would be pretty equally matched.. I am pretty satisfied with the 46/17 on the TBR7, although it is probably just a hair lower than I would like, but I think my Hawk is geared too high with the same 46/17 sprocket. I don't need a bike that is geared to potentially cruise at 65, or 70, which I think the Hawk would do on the right road. I've had it 70 going down hill a few times, but I am thinking about going to a 16 front because all I need is a bike that will run a steady 55, without being under much stress. I don't know if you want more power, or top speed, but a 16 tooth may be something you want to consider.