Thread: Nibbi PE28FL
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2023, 01:17 AM   #62

PE28FL on SSR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Got around to installing my PE28FL today. The nibbi throttle cable is actually too long. Not even a little too long, like every adjuster backed out of the threads and it still had a lot of slop too long. I am not exactly sure what the heck this cable is for, but I can't think of a single carburetor that could use it. I may actually buy a barrel, cut it, and shorten it to a useful length. It's a nice cable otherwise. Thankfully I did have a single pull cable from another throttle I bought that I forgot about and it worked out ok.

The clutch cable is too short for the stock Hawk holder to reach the lever arm. I am waiting for a CRF230F unit that bolts to the case further back to give that a try and see if it works. Necessary? No. Just another one of my tinkering experiments.

The carb installation itself - still having an issue with tank clearance and the throttle cable right at the top of the carburetor. I guess the nibbi is just tall and forward enough to hit in almost exactly the same place. At this point I am thinking I may just dent the damn fuel tank and be done with it.

It's not bad enough I couldn't get it mounted though, at least no worse than the PE30, and at least with the stock style intake there is a lot less intake flex/movement when riding.

Jetting I started with was essentially the jets right out of my PZ30B carb. The pilot is a 38, the Main is a size up at a 135 just to be safe. Idle mixture started at 2 turns out and I had to use the cold start enrichment to get it going. Once it idled for a few minutes I turned it in until I was 1 turn out and it started to stumble a bit. Backed off 1/2 a turn and it was much more stable, backed off another 1/4 turn and the idle holds dead steady at 1500. Hot restarts fire right back up. 2 turns out is just a wee bit lean on the idle, but still allows it to fall back to idle rpm without hanging up. I tend to like my idle a hair on the rich side with my compression being so high and my ignition advanced, so i am quite happy where it is.

I didn't get to check the main jet yet, but I suspect it will be fairly close. I did notice I get the same stumble transitioning to the needle like I used to get with the PE30 when I had it in the 3rd slot. I am going to simply move it to the second just like I did with that carb and be done with it.

Hello, Do you or others know if this carb would fit the SSR XF250?