View Single Post
Old 10-06-2023, 03:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
I know it's a sickness but I'll live with it. lol No such thing as too many bikes. The Benelli TRK502 has been on my would lie to have list among many other bikes.
The TRK502 is great, I'm really happy with it so far. I modded the hell out of my Leoncino, but the TRK I'm happy to keep mostly stock. Just lights and heated grips, and maybe a taller windscreen. (Though the little extender from Amazon works quite well to keep my helmet out of the windstream).

If you want agile and nimble and fun on poor roads and jeep trails, the Leoncino Trail is the bike you want. It's far closer to the CB500X than the TRK502 is. (The Leoncino is faster than the CB500X and looks better, and also comes with spokes and good suspension from the factory). The TRK is enormous. E. Norm.Us. Two fatties and a months worth of gear big. It feels like a big GSA. It's a touring bike from stem to stern, and you can feel that immediately. It's not a bike for anything more gnarly than a gravel road. But WOW is it nice to tour on - even freeways are fun now. That's new to me, I've never enjoyed freeway riding and with the TRK it's truly effortless. It also handles twisties well, and the brakes are exceptional once you replace the too-long-of-a-reach stock levers. (I swear moto manufacturers think we all have gorilla hands. I had this same problem with my Yamaha. Brakes were okay, but I couldn't get enough leverage on the lever to use them well until I put on an aftermarket adjustable lever).

Also the TRK's luggage... whoo boy. In the US, the factory luggage is 58 liters for each side case (the X model's right bag is slightly smaller to make room for the exhaust), and the topcase is 50L. To put that in perspective, each side case can hold two full face helmets with room to spare. The topcase can hold a full face helmet AND a fat man's textile motorcycle jacket, without having to force the lid closed. And empty, the bags weigh almost nothing.

I went camping, and brought way more than I ever have before on a moto camping trip. I packed literally everything I could find. Two different SLR cameras, an extra tent, an extra chair, a cot to sleep on, sleeping bag, down blanket, thermarest pad, cooking supplies, an extra jacket, a kelty noah tarp with stakes and poles, hippo hands, tools, tire pump, battery/jump pack, rain gear, heated gear, and a bunch of stuff for the Pay it Forward free bin at the campground. (two pairs of unwanted winter gloves and a giant coleman full air mattress). Even with all of this I was unable to fill the bags completely. I ran out of stuff I thought I might even remotely have a 1% chance of using. The two side cases were full, but the topcase basically just had the cameras in it.

For a normal camping trip to a motorcycle campground, I will definitely not even need the topcase. One and a half side cases at most.

Charles.