View Single Post
Old 11-10-2023, 04:04 PM   #15

Well, I was reading a while ago (actually after the major noise started in the engine - although I'm sure it didn't matter) about where the oil screen actually is in some other posts. The owner's manual says nothing about where the oil screen is and only points out the bottom drain plug. Long ago I e-mailed asking Lifan where the filter in the maintenance schedule was and all the said back referred to the oil level view window.

Anyway, since the engine is entirely unusable now I decided to drain everything - and what is in the screen but a WHOLE BALL BEARING! Plus some other bits and pieces. . . .
I had already over the past few weeks been going back and forth with Lifan about stuff and just for extra info their latest valve clearance numbers are 0.04 mm for intake and 0.06 mm exhaust. They also still claim to not have a service manual, except partially for only the EFI system.

(Oh, I also noticed while looking and browsing things yesterday that CSC Motorcycles has a philosophy more in alignment with me. They say they have service and repair manuals available for everything online! Aptera claims they have the same idea, but we'll see if they ever get their vehicle with solar panels all over it produced.)

Anyway, I was asking Lifan about new engines (because I could just tell by the sound of things and major vibration at any significant rpms that there are major problems - and at this point I don't trust ANYTHING in the engine as not having been majorly damaged!) and they say they can't sell anything directly. So they suggested some relatively local dealers and Kronik Racing (100 miles away in Simi Valley) says a new Lifan 200cc EFI engine would be $679. Significantly closer Turbo Powersports in Norco said it would be $700 and $200 shipping, but apparently they will let you drive over with a "will call" order and pick things up so you don't have to pay shipping.

I asked Lifan about any kind of warranty on a new engine and they said it would have the same 2 years/12,000 miles as the original, but you have to have it inspected at a dealer (I guess to see that it really is running and verify the odometer and I still don't know if dealers charge for that - nobody answered the question) and then they say they want service records too. Well, all the service records are with me and nobody else. I changed the oil (real oil, not what came in it) at 200 miles and then 500, and then every 500 miles after that. Other than that there is just valve adjustments on the maintenance schedule that are related to any engine function. Well, I guess they mention the spark plug, but that isn't going to ruin an engine unless the tip breaks off and bangs around in there.

Oh, in the e-mails I mentioned to Lifan that you could buy Hawk 250 and 250 EFI engines on eBay and that I saw absolutely nothing related to Lifan for sale. So I was searching engines yesterday again and what did I see but a bunch of Lifan things listed now and the 200cc one I looked at (although it doesn't say EFI) comes straight from Ontario, CA (which is right beside Rancho Cucamonga, CA where the Lifan import headquarters is for the US).

I guess I'll ask them if there is ANY possibility of some kind of discount for an engine for something that has less than 2,700 miles on it, but is 1 year past the warranty period. It isn't like ball bearings coming loose has anything to do with regular maintenance and the start of periodic strange sounds was at about 1,000 miles (which I attributed at the time to "break in" - but it was apparently just BREAKING!)