View Single Post
Old 11-22-2023, 01:12 PM   #9

That's funny, perhaps the hot start lever is actually the choke lever? Please bear with me as I'm learning! I also have the 2022 TemplarX, so they've gotta be the same right? Anyway, I'm gonna assume the little silver lever by the clutch is the choke. I did what you suggested, and it idled on its own! For about a minute or so. I could see the rpms slooowly going down after I let it idle on its own. After that I couldn't get it to start again. Either I flooded it, or the starter got tired/battery got drained. I won't continue as it's my B-day and I have stuff planned for today, but thank you for your input! I made progress today, which is lovely! I'll get back probably tomorrow. Thanks again, you're a huge help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Pete View Post
General rule.

Are there two cables running to the carburetor? You likely have a remotely located choke lever.

One cable running to the carburetor you have a choke pull lever or lift tab on the carburetor itself.

Choke controle may or may not be labeled. It could be the word choke or a symbol that looks like a block capital letter N.

It may have detents at the halfway point making it easy to feel half position or it may not and allow infinite travel between open and closed positions. You need to learn your bike. I only know the X model which has a small silver finger lever on top of the left handlebar above and to the right of the clutch lever.

In the grand scheme of things checking valve clearance is relatively easy on these bikes compared to others. But as a beginner it will all be Greek the very first time.You'll need a relatively inexpensive tool, a feeler gauge and a screwdriver and a wrench from a wrench set; most Chinese bikes use metric sizes. Then a socket and breaker bar to turn the motor over until it's lined up in the correct position to check and adjust the valves. JerryHawk250 on here has videos on the process for China bikes, so do other folks on YouTube. If your engine model number matches those in the Templar resources post that post has the gap sizes posted. If you can watch videos online doing it and tackle a job you'll be good to go, if not ask a friend to show you how and learn that way.