Thread: Tm38ex
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2024, 08:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
It's a crate bike. ... You are more likely to encounter shipping problems than quality issues.
Correct me if I'm wrong; buying just a crate from a pure distributor (i.e. with little or no parts & service infrastructure ... or a phone) is like buying with a 'tail-light warranty' (good `till the tail-lights fade in the distance). You bought it; it's yours; good luck chasing down parts, when needed ... and the notion of 'bullet-proof' bikes is b.s., regardless of the country of origin or brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Personally, I'd get the PWK34 model. But I like to bypass emissions standards and jet the bike myself. Your choice!
I'm at about 4,500' altitude; rides might range up to 10,000-12,000'. Carburetors aren't designed for changing altitude, humidity, temperature etc.; carburetors don't have the required mass air volume, temperature and other necessary sensors. Carburetors can be optimized for one set of conditions; step outside those conditions and carburetors run sub-optimally ... and, I'd rather ride than tune, anyway; that's like having to change tires for every surface change ... or tow another bike (more bologna).

True, emissions standards send many (most?) bikes out running lean (and WAY too red hot); running lean is easier corrected with a ~$150 tuning unit in series with the injector ... than pulling a carburetor out from the frame and re-jetting etc. - for altitude, temperature, humidity changes etc.

... just my opinion; 'your mileage may vary'.