View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 03:24 PM   #5

Valve Cover Bolts

The valve cover bolts on my Sierra 200 were torqued down pretty tight at the factory. When I was removing the exhaust valve cover I lightly stripped the hex head on one of the bolts.

To the best of my knowledge, almost every part in the Sierra 200 engine can be replaced with a part from a Yamaha TW200. However, there are some minor differences. For example, Yamaha uses Allen head bolts instead of hex head bolts for the valve covers. You can find many Yamaha parts vendors on the internet who provide online parts lookup with the Yamaha part number. Listed below is one such website.

http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...2006&fveh=4539

If you visit the above link, choose "cylinder head" from the drop-down menu. In this diagram the valve cover bolts are part #18, Yamaha part #91317-06018-00. This particular vendor is currently selling the bolts for $0.47 each.

I could have retightened my valve cover bolt with a pair of vise grips, but I wanted to replace it. Therefore, I went to the local Yamaha shop. They wanted $2.00 for the bolt, so I went down the street to the local Honda shop. They sold me the exact bolt, with hex head, for $0.94. The original bolt and its Honda replacement are shown in the photograph below.

I think I prefer the Yamaha, Allen head bolts. The next time I do a valve adjustment on my Sierra 200, I plan to replace the Zong valve cover bolts with Yamaha bolts. However, I plan to buy them beforehand, online, for $0.47 each, not locally, for $2.00 each. :wink:

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894