Thread: Change.gov
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009, 12:21 AM   #27

That cell phone one is bogus... It is already the law in some states, and in some Canadian provinces... They make completely ridiculous claims like driving while talking on a cell phone is the same as driving drunk (yes they said this, which I guess means it's no big deal since our Premiere and Police do it), or that you are 400% more likely to crash if you are using your cell phone. How is it that talking on a cell phone is more distracting then talking to the passenger of the vehicle? The reason they are coming up with these ridiculous stats are that there are more people on the road, and there are more people with cell phones, who may be using them on the road. Just because someone crashed while they were on the cell phone does not make the cell phone the cause, but that is what these people would have you believe. We should blame the cell phone for all our problems and take no personal responsibility. And for the record I would like to state that I am not a big cell phone fan, I simply use a cell phone for communication when needed. I drive all day every day, and I talk on the phone while driving, I also talk on the radio, drink bottled water, and occasionally snack on some crackers or a sandwich. I wonder why I haven't crashed, maybe I should try my hand a DUI, if it is really the same as driving while talking on the phone I would be a pro. :roll:

Disclaimer: I am not encouraging driving while intoxicated, I am simply being sarcastic.