View Single Post
Old 05-17-2009, 12:15 PM   #31

If you intend to flush the cooling system (which is a good idea), make sure you use low pressure. You don't want this job to include a new heater core as well.

I take off one of the heater hoses and figure out how to connect a garden hose to it. I've used various barbed fittings, depending on the heater hose size. You can often buy a cheap stepped fitting at an auto parts store that will accept hose bib thread at one end, and you then cut the other end until the plastic tube fits the heater hose.

As iMoose pointed out, glycol is poisonous to dogs, cats and kids. Don't worry about using glycol after you complete repairs. At this time of year, you can safely run just water in the cooling system while you check for leaks and overheating. Once you are satisfied, drain the water and replace it with 50/50 water and antifreeze for year-round use.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer