View Single Post
Old 06-20-2009, 02:33 AM   #3

First Assembly and Start Up Report

I spent about 5 hours in the front yard twisting wrench on the new 50cc Pink Gio. 5 hours total which included B.S.ing with neighbours, drinking a couple wobbly pops and such..

Initial impression is this thing is cool. I like it better than the 110cc for various reasons. Firstly being it's MUCH easier to assemble. The 110cc came with fenders, exhaust, shocks, wheels, handlebars all off, while the 50cc was basically handlebars and wheels, with a few other fiddly things that were not too bad. Even has front brakes which I find a little bit not necessary and a bit needly to install. I hooked up the cables but not enough tension yet so I will be playing with that a bit more, however I don't think they are really needed as the back brake is more than adequate.

I had a bit of a problem with the front right wheel, it didn't want to slide all the way back on the axel, it was hanging up on something. I had to use the wheel nut to push it into position, careful as to not screw up the bearing. Once it was in place it is rubbing on the brake assembly and makes a bit of noise. I think either the brake or the inside hub is not 'true'. It's something to mess with but I am concerned about trying to get the wheel off now, might have to dig up my old deadblow plastic hammer.

The thing looks cool, even in pink! ..and when 280lbs me sits on it feels solid. The 110cc is really squishy and the shocks feel like they bottom out with me on it, this 50cc doesn't at all, and just feels like it would haul me around easily. No tipping side to side and feels comfortable for a little unit.

Now the negative news:
Someone in the design area of this unit needs a SMACK or PUNCH in the head due to the placement of the oil drain plug. Perhaps the drain plug is in the right spot but the motor is not placed in the frame properly. There is a frame cross member RIGHT UNDER THE DRAIN PLUG. Be damned if I could get a wrench in there to take it out. Do they not change the oil in China? Basically there was no oil showing on the dipstick, so I just put new oil in it, but I don't know HOW I am going to change it after break in!

I have a carb adjustment problem. I started the thing up, and it runs like a pile of shit. I was messing with it a little, if I open the choke it runs at real high rpm, so high it wants to go. If I close the choke down it sputters, coughs and dies. I got on, let the brake off and it roars up the road like it's under full power. It's like reverse driving, brake on to slow down, take off and it goes, no throttle needed. If I push the throttle lever nothing happens. My issue here is the thing is so small I can barely get my gorilla hands in there to adjust anything. Can't even get a screw driver into the screw on the side. I'm seeing the plastic having to come off and the carb off to fix it. >sigh< The 110cc started up and ran fantastic without any adjustments. I guess that is what I get for easy assembly, now I need to take apart to get the carb off.

If anyone has any tips in this regard I'm all eyes and ears.

I think that's about it for now. Will take some pics of the bugger when I get some time.