View Single Post
Old 07-12-2009, 09:11 PM   #2

IMHO, there are two issues: chain quality and method of adjustment. I'm not saying that you're not adjusting the chain properly, only that it can be a factor.

If the chain is on the low end, it'll stretch like plastic. I use RK or DID chains that range from $15 to $30, depending on size. I don't buy the o-ring type. They still stretch, but not alot.

If the chain is not adjusted properly, it can stretch quickly and create premature wear on sprockets and swingarm bushings. When I adjust a chain on a quad, I support the quad with a jackstand under the frame and a scissor jack under the axle. I then remove the bottom shock bolt and move it out of the way. I jack up the scissor jack until the front sprocket, rear sprocket and swingarm bolt are all in line. I adjust the chain until it is just on the loose side of taut; this is the tightest point for the chain throughout the range of travel.

If a chain is adjusted while on the ground and not under load, it may end up being too tight once the suspension is compressed enough to put the sprockets and swingarm bolt in line.

Hope that's helpful.

Cheers!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer