View Single Post
Old 07-21-2009, 03:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonezuk
I am refering the two the hard rubber or fiber idlers that are used to guide the chain from the output sproket on the engine to the gear on the rear axle.

So with the rear shock removed and moving the swing arm to the area with the greatest tension, do you have to make any adjustments to compensate for the idlers (rollers,followers).

When the suspension is extended to its maximum, the chain can tighten when passing over these fixed idlers as compared to spring loaded tensioners.
Do any Chinese quads or dirt bikes have these?? I have no chain guides on my quads, but do have some on my YZ; which look more to like they are there as a rub point over the swingarm, so there is no metal on metal contact with a sloppy chain.

The only tensioned chains I have seen are inside motors, not normally on the outside on anything chain driven.
Your YZ likely has a chain slider on top of the swingarm and a chain roller on the bottom. As you say, the slider prevents metal to metal contact, and the roller helps to guide the chain throught the tremendous rear wheel travel on your bike.

Yes, you see the odd China bike with sliders and rollers; my son's Gio 125 had both. I fabricated a chain slider on our 150 quad, and I'm going to install a Yamaha slider I have on our 200. It will make the chain and swingarm sound better and last longer.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer