View Single Post
Old 09-04-2009, 12:21 PM   #89

The Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 is basically a copy of the Yamaha TW200 motorcycle; therefore, the Zong somewhat copies the TW200 frame. The Yamaha XT225 employs the same engine block as the Yamaha TW200; therefore, many XT225 parts can be substituted on the Zong. For example, the Yamaha XT225 exhaust header conforms to the shape of the TW200 engine block; therefore, it will fit the Zong. The swingarms of both the TW200 and XT225 motorcycles mount around the rear of the same engine block. Therefore, if a 1-inch spacer is used on the left side, the XT225 swingarm will mount solidly to the Zong frame.

The Zong frame is by no means an exact copy of the TW200 frame; however, the Zong frame is very similar to the TW200 frame from the area housing the motorcycle’s airbox, forward. Moving aft, the Zong frame deviates quite a bit from the TW200 frame.

The Yamaha XT225 frame is narrower than the TW200 frame. Also, the XT225 frame is inclined at a steeper angle, forward to the bike’s handlebars.

Nobody manufactures an aftermarket fuel tank for the Yamaha TW200. Therefore, many TW200 owners have adapted other fuel tanks, or they have fabricated their own, larger fuel tanks. The T-dub owners have written many threads on this subject at the TW200 forum. Below is a link to a thread which compiles their many efforts.

http://tw200forum.com/forums/52354/ShowPost.aspx

If you read a few of the T-dub owner’s experiments, you soon discover that trying to fit a fuel tank designed for another motorcycle can present many difficulties. First, the motorcycle’s seat must conform to the shape of the different fuel tank.

I am pleased to report that the Zong seat conforms quite well to the shape of the Clarke fuel tank.

Also, the new fuel tank must not restrict the full movement of the motorcycle’s handlebars. Once again, I am happy to report the Clarke fuel tank meets this critical requirement.

Now, however, I must report the Clarke fuel tank’s shortcomings. :(

The new fuel tank must fit around the motorcycle’s frame, accomodating the bike’s wires, cables, ignition coil, engine block, et cetera. The new tank must also mount solidly to both the front and rear of the motorcycle’s frame. The Clarke fuel tank meets almost all these requirements; however, it does rub the Zong’s engine at one point. If I choose to mount the Clarke tank, I will need to shave a bit of material from the upper right side of the Zong’s timing chain cover.

The Zong has a lot of excess aluminum in this area, and I could remove quite a bit without harming the engine. The photo below shows the one area where the Clarke tank rubs the Zong’s engine.

Finally, the aftermarket fuel tank must mate to the side plastic on the motorcycle. The Clarke tank comes close; however, quite naturally, it is not a perfect fit.

However, I can modify the metal mounting tabs for the Zong’s side plastic. It would be any easy job to cut them, and weld them nearer to the bike’s centerline.

I could then add an extender to the side plastic. Perhaps I could employ a small piece of the present fuel tank plastic to accomplish this task.

Fitting this fuel tank to the Zong requires far fewer modification than any of the options tried by the Yamaha TW200 owners. Also, the Clarke tank would almost double my Zong’s fuel capacity!

What do you think? Should I keep the Clarke tank, or send it back? Do you have any other suggestions for making the tank fit better? I appreciate your constructive input.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894