View Single Post
Old 10-07-2009, 03:03 PM   #13

After descending the Lemhi Range, I continued to head southeast toward Patterson. Riding close to the mountains, I enjoyed the view of the farmlands leading up to the Lemhi Range. In the photograph below, the black dots are cows grazing in the fields.

Numerous trails crisscross this beautiful, wide valley; I took one of the trails, and rode a bit to the west. I was rewarded with a wonderful view of the distant Big Lost Range, and the headwaters of the Pahshimeroi River.

Looking back to the east and south, I crossed the headwaters of the Pashimeroi River, and headed back to the gravel road.

Riding southeast, I left the Pahshimeroi drainage basin, and entered the drainage basin of the Little Lost River. Once again, the small dots in the photograph below are happy cows, grazing in the beautiful valley.

The Lemhi Range continued to offer beautiful views to the east as I continued riding toward the Little Lost River.

As you get closer to Howe, the remote gravel road becomes paved. However, many fine trails lead eastward toward the Lemhi Range.

Getting closer to Howe, the valley widens, and more farmland begins to appear.

As I rode southeast, I paused to watch a farmer harvesting his crop.

I was not alone watching the harvest. A hungry hawk, perched upon the irrigation equipment, was also watching the farmer, and me, as he waited for field mice to scurry away from the approaching harvester.

I rode a little bit farther south to get another photograph of the field, without the irrigation equipment obscuring the view. This farmer has a rather nice view of the Lemhi Range; don’t you agree?

This day I had traveled over 120 miles down the length of the Lemhi Range. Arriving in Howe, I reached the first fuel pump available since I had left Challis, earlier in the morning. Fortunately, the storeowner was still open for business; I gratefully filled my fuel tank. If the store had been closed, I would have made a 14-mile detour to Arco for fuel.

My Zong has a 2 gallon fuel tank, so I had stowed an extra ¾ gallon of gas in my travel trunk before leaving Challis; I had used a good bit of that extra fuel. I will certainly enjoy having my 3.5 gallon Clarke fuel tank, which I plan to install in the next week or so.

Standing at the fuel pump, I took my last photographs of the Lemhi Range ascending in the distance, above Mom’s Place, in beautiful downtown Howe.

Riding southeast into the broad Snake River Plain, I retraced my path back home.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894