View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 05:05 AM   #45

Weldangrind...me?...nope...I figure I'm 20% where you are at...the more I go back and read your stuff, the more I realize I cant catch up to ya

I forget the last thing I read...you were looking over the bike or something and found a slightly loose connection, so you rewired the entire bike for fun...I know that wasnt it, but you know what I mean
I remember now..body work had gaps so you added spacers all round

Maybe it was not a Commando, but I would bet a cup of coffee it was a 650, but I could (likely) be wrong.

Welder, yes and no. If I drag the bike to work I have access to many welders, up to the size of a chest freezer, AND a guy who can weld.

My glass idea is not glass alone...I have two rolls of 3/4" X 1/16" muffler hanger flat wire. My plan is do the first layer with only glass, then "cage" the batt with the muffler hanger stuff and lay up a second coat on top. Like an internal frame.

For the top flanges I have some 1" X 1/4" aluminium strapping. Think 2 rails running down each side at the top. and possibly acrross the sides...think rectangle of aluminium around the top of the batt. Will mold them in the glass as well. I am going to have to cut out the exisiting box.

Funny enough, the 3 detents now work great on the Mikuni after I installed the choke arm. It sits nicely at half or full choke with use of the choke lever on the bars. The bracket from the old one is a must though or else no way to secure the cable.

Cheers!

Pete[/b]