View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009, 02:17 AM   #6

Good idea on this thread, waynec.

I couldn't make it around my backyard on less than 10psi. At 10psi I almost completed a Poker Run last spring, but the tire eventually popped off. Installed tubes, problem over.

I've learned a few other things about the Beast, inaddition to the points you made:
- Replace the o-rings in the upper steering bearing to eliminate play. Also drill and tap the lower tube for a zerk fitting to make lubrication easy. Either shim a castle nut so it lines up with the hole or double-nut to prevent steering shaft bolt loss.
- Don't even ride the quad with the stock front shocks, it's too hard on the control arm bushings.
- Don't mount the front shocks in the upper mounting hole, or you're in bumpsteer territory.
- Install a fuel shutoff valve inline. Replace the fuel line and filter with quality parts.
- If you choose to use the kill switch to shut the engine off, you must press it in once to reset it.
- Lube the brake cables, throttle cable, choke cable and clutch cable; totally worth it. I use Maxima Chain Wax with a cable luber.
- Install shims to correct the difference between the swingarm and the axle mounting brackets. Mine was over 1/4" out. Washers are the hillbilly way (although effective), but I chose to cut spacers from DOM tubing.
- Toss the stock chain in the trash and install an RK or DID chain. Lube it with Maxima Chain Wax.
- Replace the rear axle bearings with sealed bearings, and drill and tap the rearend housing for a zerk fitting and pump the rearend full of grease. The grease does nothing for the sealed bearings, it only displaces water to protect the housing, bearings and axle.
- Re-route the throttle cable around the right side of the tank to allow for a smooth radius into the carb.
- Install the Mikuni carb and a performance exhaust.
- Port the exhaust pipe where it meets the head.

That's all that comes to mind for now.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer