View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #2

Thank you for posting the interesting link, Allen. I think the best way to minimize motorcycle ownership costs is to get a small, reliable chinabike. Many Americans complain the Chinese won't build motorcycles with larger engines; the Chinese build small motorcycles for very good reasons.

Up to this point, the Chinese have been primarily manufacturing motorcycles for their domestic market. In China, and Southeast Asia, many people do not own motor vehicles; however, if they own any motor vehicle, it is probably a small motorcycle. If you have limited financial resources, you want to purchase a rugged, reliable, versatile vehicle that is inexpensive to purchase, and operate. The 200cc, single cylinder, air cooled, dual sport motorcycle exactly fits these criteria.

For example, if you buy a Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 for $1,000, delivered, you are off to a very good start in minimizing your operating costs! My Zong gets 75 mpg, so fuel costs are low. You can easily perform your own maintenance on these simple, single cylinder, air cooled engines; even the occasional valve adjustments only require 30 minutes of your time. These motorcycles only require 1 quart of engine oil. These small bikes also punish their tires less; I spend only 1.5 cents per mile on rubber! Finally, insurance costs are also very low for these small, single cylinder motorcycles.

If you want to buy bigger, more powerful, water cooled engines, with more cylinders, you are going to spend a lot more money. Not only is the initial cost higher, but the bike will also be much more expensive to operate, maintain, repair, and insure. As I stated in the first paragraph, the Chinese primarily build small, single cylinder, air-cooled, dual sport motorcycles for very good reasons. If someone wants to save money, and have a lot of fun, he should purchase a good, reliable chinabike!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894