View Single Post
Old 04-29-2010, 12:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oengus
I thought that the first gear and final stage were always the same, is that not correct?
First Gear and Final Drive Ratio are separate items.

Final Drive Ratio consists of the front and rear sprockets only. SportRider has a helpful article:
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0...ing/index.html

Based on the pictures in your 'SUV' thread, looks like you are following ChinaV's XTR thread on MyChinaMoto. Did you notice the gearing changes he has made? I think his riding & reporting can answer a lot of your questions about the gearing differences between the XTR & SUV.

I'll try condense ChinaV's report:

stock XTR - 3.154 Final Drive (13/42 tooth sprockets) - "Pass 75kph [46 mph] and things get painful." [Based on his off-road pics, I think he is also doing some technical off-road riding too.] "The trails around my house are very rocky, the bike (and rider) really get pounded and the XTR seems to be handling it well."

ChinaV said he has changed 3 different XTR250s Final Drive Ratio to help them on the street and has used 2 similiar combinations. 2.824 (17/48 ) or 2.882 (17/49). Note: He also converted to 428 size chain, so a 17 tooth front sprocket could fit on the countershaft.

The results- "90-100kph [55-62mph] is smooth as silk, and the bike still has plenty of power to pull at lower speeds. Top speed via GPS is 120kph [74mph]."

So, it looks like changing the XTR gearing (3.154) over to an SUV ratio (2.882) doesn't hurt your off-roading, but gives you a higher cruising speed.