View Single Post
Old 05-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune
I think the problem is what we have in the US--bikes seem to sell for far less than pretty much all other countries/regions. So, there is no margin of incentive for the most part. Canada tends to sell bikes at retail for more money across the board, so Chinese bikes that kind of compare in features to big brands can seem like bargains to a consumer. Maybe not bargains, per se, but at least it would be worth the "risk" to purchase a somewhat backed bike for half the cost or less than a Yamaha or kawasaki. Which brings us to the backing of the bikes.

Europe, Canada, and other parts of the world who tend to charge end-users more (maybe due to VATs or higher taxes, not the distributors/retailers idea) are able to make it worth someone's time and effort to distribute them properly, which make them a more desirable product in the consumers' eyes (warranties especially!). IN the US, we have pretty much cut and pared out the profits. This has to do with perceptions, too. Many people will argue that it is much more worth it to buy a top brands' bike for $4000 than Qlink's for $2100, although in Qlink's defense, the bikes have gained a reputation as a bargain for the $. Which leads us to distributors to make the bikes worthwhile. Qlink, Pitster, I think Benneche, and a few more have and will start to bring in bikes with backing, but we will have to accept the mark-up.

BTW, the top of the line Shinerays shown are probably priced about right, wholesale. They are supposed to be good bikes.
Profit is actually excess, the price less costs, if everyone is paid then who gets the extra? The opposite of profit is a loss, they are more about fending of losses?

The larger prices get into financing and basically really buying what you cannot afford, the higher the monkey climbs the more your see of their a**? Then is there a kickback? I think so.

How much interest is there on a $10,000.00 bike financed for 48months? I am not about stepping on peoples toes or anything but who really trusts a sales person? Getting the most or just getting paid to answer questions?

The dealer have overhead and they have to cover that, but again who should be getting rich and why?

I say keep them honest, they are working in a fun industry that’s the perk not getting rich. So the cost from the factory gets ramped up that should be a flat fee per unit not a percentage mark-up. Is it how can I help you or how can I rip you off?

Nothing we say or do will change that, but without smart consumers then what…the prices go through the roof? I say that if they do it correctly they should add about $1,000.00 to the factory costs. Based on the prices on the wholesale site that about right, so the bike coming out of HD and the Japanese factories are really expensive or are they off the charts on distribution and marketing…dunno?

But if it comes out of china it does not mean higher profits, it should not then its ripping us off. Pass the bargain down the line and for the most part they are, or appear to be.

The $1,500.00 bike online is still there and will persists but that requires some problem solving skills and it is just a different approach. Do not expect everything at that price, it simply cannot exist, you pay more for what is easy and convenient? But just not too much more or it just goes back to were it left off, like the auto industry that was pulled out of the grave and leveraged into the next generations costs.

Affordable to more that is what its about and the Chinese are lowering us and while raising themselves. What is anything worth….how much real cash do you have and then how much can you really afford to finance?