View Single Post
Old 09-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #35

I have discovered two techniques that make Jay Clarke's method of installing the inner tube easier for me; I would like to share them with you.

I have already mentioned the first tip; use only a small amount of air to partially inflate the inner tube. Inflating the inner tube too much will definitely make the job more difficult.

My second tip is to treat the partially inflated tube, and valve stem, similar to the way you would treat a rim lock as you install the tire. After applying baby powder to the inner tube, and the inside of the tire, I insert the partailly inflated tube into the tire. After lubing the tire with Windex, I pull the portion of the inner tube near the valve stem out of the tire. Placing the lubed side of the tire on the rim, I insert the valve stem through the rim, but I only tighten the lock nut onto the last thread of the valve stem.

I then press down on the tire, forcing it onto the rim about 3/4 of its diameter. Using the Moose Racing tire changing stand certainly makes this part of the job much easier! Next, I press in on the valve stem, making sure to get the partially inflated inner tube away from the rim, and out of the way! I then push the bead of the tire into the dish of the rim near the valve stem. At this point I can usually force the rest of the tire onto the rim by hand. Even if the tire is a little cold, I can still easily spoon the remaining portion of the tire onto the rim, once the inflated tube is out of the way, and the tire bead is seated fully in the dish of the rim.

Following Jay Clarke's advice, I then start installing the final side of the tire at the valve stem. Inserting two tire spoons on opposite sides of the valve stem, I place my Tusk bead buddy to the left of the valve stem, and spoon on the rest of the tire.

Using the proper tools, and the proper technique, really makes the job easy! I strongly encourage everyone to try changing his own motorcycle tires.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894