Thread: Pic of the Day
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 05:52 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Sticking with the religious theme...

Those are all good questions, Jim. If you have time, I would enjoy it if you would start a new thread dedicated to this theme. I would find it very interesting to participate in such a thread.

I believe the short answer to Epicurus is as follows. God is both able, and willing to prevent evil. Evil exists because God created beings, angels and humans, who do not operate by instinct, such as animals, but who possess free moral agency, the ability to choose their actions for themselves. Free moral agency is a tremendous gift of freedom, but freedom always entails responsibility; we must accept accountability for our actions. If any of the angels, or people, choose to do evil, despite God's advice and admonition, it is not the fault of God; rather, it is the fault of the perpetrators.

I would like to pose another question. If God doesn't exist, why do some people hate Him so? Is it rational to hate someone who doesn't even exist? How can anyone blame a nonexistent God for permitting evil to occur? If humans are inherently good, why do basically "good" people commit such terrible acts of cruelty, and unkindness? :?:

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894