View Single Post
Old 07-17-2016, 09:15 PM   #8

Headway

I got up early this morning, posted the thread and then headed out to the garage to get everything ready. Cleared a shelf and a bunch of bins. ready to play!

Got back from our morning putt around 11:30. Got the TT on the rack around noon and went at it. Being a NASCAR fan, it was a tough job thanks to Loudon NH. Mrs. 2LZ would yell from the house, "Yellow! 18 out front!"...and I'd have to run in and see the restart. Needless to say, it was "Wrenchus Interuptus" quite a few times today....but I persevered. The bike had 13+ hours on the clock since I installed the tach unit so it's ready to go!

There were quite a few things I discovered today. First, I'll need to get a hunk of black plastic and fab an inner rear fender if I want one. The back of the air box plays that roll and it's now in the pile. No big deal.

Secondly, as expected there is very little grease on the swing arm pivot, axles or shock links. Also, I think with the scads of these CSC got in and needed to ship, it was pretty obvious that the valve cover had not been off. I think they give them the "does it rattle?" test and if so, send. Can't blame them really. The bike ran really well.

I took off all the smog, blocked the vac port on the intake manifold the old fashioned way (which I may replace) and fabbed the plate for the smog pump hole at the head so it's ready to go. Carb, exhaust, etc....all in a pile now. Need parts.

I was VERY impressed with the machining. I thought the rocker assembly was nicely done on my Lifan motor, this was impressive. Nicely done by Zong.

I got those ugly, scratched up bars shot today in the closest thing I could find to the dark, dark gray that's on the plastic's The pic doesn't show it but it's a very close match. Good enough.

Anyway, the bike's down, on TDC and ready for the valve set tomorrow after work when it's ice cold. I think that's about it for now.........

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Last edited by 2LZ; 03-27-2017 at 05:09 PM.